Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Herb Garden

Every year since we've lived in this house we have had an outdoor garden. The first two years I did a mix of vegetables, fruit, and herbs. This year I have decided to do my herbs indoors to save space in the outdoor garden for more vegetables as well as to make the herbs more accessible for every day use. I bought an over the sink shelf so my herbs can sit by the kitchen window and get plenty of sunlight. I planted basil, cilantro, parsley, and thyme. So far all my plants look great! (I will post more about the outdoor garden in a month or so when it warms up enough for us to plant.) One of the recipes I look most forward to making once my herbs come in is my fresh basil pesto. Here is the recipe:

Basil Pesto
Ingredients:
  • 3 cups chopped fresh basil leaves
  • 2/3 cup pine nuts
  • 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 2 tbsp minced garlic
  • olive oil
 Directions:
Put basil, pine nuts, cheese, and garlic in a food processor or blender. Puree, adding a little oil at a time until you get to the desired consistancy.

This sauce makes a wonderful pesto chicken pizza. Just spread the pesto on a pizza crust and add chopped chicken, marinated artichoke hearts, chopped red onion, and diced tomatoes.

Verse Of The Day: "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." ~Matthew 5:16

No comments:

Post a Comment